30 December 2009

First blog

Hello! I'm Jenna, a 24 year old 2nd year (aka Middler) M.Div (Masters of Divinity) student at Wartburg Theological Seminary. I'm originally from Sumner, Iowa and am a 2008 graduate of Wartburg College with a Bachelor's degree in Religion.

I have been asked many times by many people, why on EARTH I would want to go to Iceland in January. Lately I have been asking myself the very same thing! First of all, it sounded like an awesome opportunity! I was intrigued by the idea of being in darkness for a majority of the day in winter. Because I am a night owl, I am very interested to see what it is like to live in near-constant darkness. How, if at all, does the darkness affect people's attitude? I'm also really excited to learn about how the Icelandic Lutheran church operates and how, in the midst of the wintery darkness, the church works to shine Christ's light in the world.

My main guiding questions for this trip are looking at how Lutheranism in Iceland is similar/different to Lutheranism in America. How does culture affect theology, and vice versa? I'm interested in religion's role in different cultures and will be trying to look at that while in Iceland.

I'm also interested in Iceland's social ministries. One of the last days we're in Iceland we'll be visiting with pastors who are involved in special ministries, such as ministries for immigrants and people with disabilities. I'm especially interested in this because I have worked with people with both physical and mental disabilities and have a great passion for this! I'm really intrigued and excited to see what this kind of ministry looks like!

I wish you all a safe and Happy New Year! Hopefully you'll all learn something and look forward to reading our blog! :)
Grace and Peace,
Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment