31 December 2009

So this is a Blog.......

When people ask "Why Iceland?" my response is simple, "I heard island in the Atlantic and was thinking tropical!" As it turns out I am going to be a stones throw away from the Arctic Circle in a very beautiful country with a rich tradition and culture.

For those who can not tell by the sarcasm, this is Kirk, a first year M-Div student at Wartburg. Prior to attending seminary, I worked in the insurance industry for 15 years in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I have two beautiful children, Celia and Regan, who wish they could come with. In a way they will get to experience a little of Iceland themselves. If things work out, I am going to be able to Skype with both of them and their classes at Prairie Ridge. This will be really neat!!!!!

During our two weeks, I am interested to find out what, if any, challenges have come about in the Icelandic church due to the economic downturn over the past couple years. And on the flip side, if new opportunities for the ministry of Christ have presented themselves. The second question of interest is how the church deals with the cultural tie to mythology that seems to be so prevalent in the Icelandic culture.

This is going to be a fantastic learning experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment