31 December 2009

Ready to go, I think

My name is David Murphy and I am a MDiv Junior (1st year) at Wartburg. As I prepared for this trip many thoughts have gone racing through my head. Many in recent days have been about my family which includes Karen, my wife of 9 years, and our kids Emma (7), Braeden (5), Colin (3), and Kayla (19mo). In my previous life before seminary I would travel with some regularity for my job and it was rarely ever a big deal. But this trip somehow seems different. Part of it is of course the nature of the trip. Experiencing a different culture from a theological perspective is new for me. Also, I can't help feel a bit of guilt going to a place in Iceland that is such an unknown and very intriguing. Thankfully, my family is very excited for me being able to go on such an amazing trip for school.

I personally cannot wait to see what a country that lives in such extremes such as longterm light and darkness and also being a part of something larger (Europe) and yet being way up near the top of globe. I am fascinated by the sophisticated simplicity with which I have read Icelanders live. I can't wait to experience it for myself.

As for more about me, Well I am a proud graduate of The Ohio State University and I am not happy about missing the Rose Bowl, oh well. I also left behind a life as an engineer and my family very willingly packed up and moved with me for this new seminary adventure. So far, so good. Hopefully, this Iceland adventure will be another wonderful chapter in my journey.

Til next time, Peace.
David

1 comment:

  1. Hello, David and all of you there. I wish a very happy new year and good days in Iceland for you.

    My name is Toshiki, serving for the Church of Iceland last 15 years, but I am originally from Tokyo, Japan. I was ordained as a minister of JELC, and as you know well perhaps, JELC has been having strong partnership with ELCA. So I am very happy to be able to welcome you here in Iceland!

    I guess that this country, how people think things or the even the church itself might be very different from what you are used to. I think this difference could be used both in positive way and a negative way depending on those who recognise the difference and make use of it. I am mostly happy if I could help you even a little bit so that you can use this experience in Iceland in a positive way for the people here in US or any other place in the world.

    Once again, Welcome, and see you in Reyljavik!!

    In Christ,
    Toshiki Toma

    ReplyDelete