02 January 2010

First Impressions

We arrived in beautiful Iceland early this morning at about 6:30. If I could paint the landscape for you I would use multiple shades of gray, dark gray, black, incandescent orange, black, incandescent yellow, black, and black. It's dark, and it stays that way until around ten in the morning when dawn breaks for about an hour or so. In all actuality, the daytime here would use the opposite hues, as Iceland is well... snowy.

We walked out of the airport and I said, I can smell the sea. Rob said, "No you can smell the sulfur." Oh yeah, we're on the fault line between two continents. It is a smell that is unfamiliar, yet brings back memories of moments of my youth in Yellowstone with my family endlessly complaining about the rotten egg smell of the Mud Pots. I think that my appreciation for the cheap warmth provided to Iceland for there geothermal heating, recreational center pools, and even shower water, will allow me to cope and not complain this time around.

When we arrived we were greeted with the greatest first impression of all, hospitality. We were whisked away from the airport to Gunnar's church where we were treated with a variety of breads, jam, cheese, and pastries, along with coffee for some, tea for me. After a time of fellowship we headed our separate ways for a short morning nap. David and I went with another pastor, Iris, to her condominium. I awoke recently to a mid-day morning sun shining low over the horizon from the south. Many more activities are planned for the rest of the day all in the effort to keep us awake until ten or so in the effort to help us acclimate to the time-change sooner rather than later.

I realize that in my first post I left out some general information about myself. I hail from Western Nebraska/South Dakota. I am a Junior at Wartburg Seminary in the M.Div. program. I have two wonderful parents in S.D. and a sister in Iowa who are my closest of kin.

No comments:

Post a Comment