18 December 2011

A Little Bit about Seth

My name is Seth Nelson and I was born 26 years ago in a suburb of Minneapolis.  When I was five years old my family moved to Decorah, Iowa, where my parents started working for Luther College, their alma mater.  My mom, Ramona, is a professor of accounting there and my dad, Cy, has worked as an account around Decorah ever since.  I also have two brothers; Evan is four years older than me and lives in Madison, WI, with his wonderful wife Kari and two daughters Claire and Paige.  My younger brother, Taylor, lives in Boulder, Colorado, and will be getting married this upcoming summer to his college sweetheart, Kristen.
    As for me, I am currently in my second year of studies at Wartburg Seminary in Dubuque, Iowa.  Previously, I attended Valparaiso University, located just east of Chicago in Indiana, where I studied philosophy and ancient Greek.  It was there that I met the love of my life, Jennifer, who I have been married to for three and a half years.  She works as a Nurse in a hospital 45 minutes from Dubuque.  We also have a dog named Pericles who continually proves to be a little furball of energy.
    Though I grew up in Iowa, I have traveled some throughout the country as well as internationally.  I have been to most states and regions in the United States and have travelled to Mexico and Canada.  Outside of North America, I have been to Sweden, Denmark, Germany, South Africa, and Namibia.  When I was in high school, I had a Swedish student stay with me for a year and was able to go visit him after completing my first year at Valpo.  That was my first and only trip to Europe thus far, but I enjoyed it very much and am anxious to go back.  I also spent a semester studying in southern Africa, primarily in Namibia but also a bit in South Africa.  I stayed with a couple of families in Namibia and South Africa, experiences for which I am grateful and look forward to repeating in Iceland.
     All in all, I have heard wonderful things about the country of Iceland and look forward to traveling to see its splendor for myself.  I enjoy forming international friendships and cannot wait to find out what our travels in January have in store.
     Dear God, I pray that you may hasten our travels abroad so that we may encounter you in Iceland.  Guide our way to you that we may journey safely across the pond.  Prepare our hearts to meet the distant lands to which you call us.

No comments:

Post a Comment