31 January 2014

Lessons learned

Having traveled to Nebraska, Texas, and Iceland, all since November, it is good to be back home and dare I say it, yes even good to shovel some snow again. At the same time however I'm reminded how much fun and joy these places, and the people there are able to bring into my life. Because of this I miss them, the atmosphere, the nature, the geography, and I wonder now that I am gone, what else am I missing. So one lesson I have learned is that while traveling broadens ones horizon, it also will cause a longing in the heart for where you have been and for those you have become good friends with.
Those you have traveled with though become more than just a friend, but more like family, especially when you have lived with them for two weeks. Upon return I have found myself in Stevens house more in the past week than I had all last semester, and helping out Will in a heart beat. As for Sam, well I just hope the classes dont get to carried away.
Just a day and a half ago I had an interview for a CPE site at a children's hospital. During this interview I was able to look back on the trip to Iceland, and pull upon the lessons we were taught from the pastors there to help me answer questions that arose during the interview, as I am sure they will be helpful in the coming semester. For this, thank you friends in Iceland for all the words of wisdom, examples, and lessons you passed on to us.
There have been a few changes since I have arrived back from Iceland, for example, I've eaten more hotdogs in the past week than I had all year before going to Iceland. When guests come over they are served coffee (kaffi) in a small cup WITH a saucer, and I am making my kaffi much stronger than before. Having been motivated by a wonderful pastor by the name of guðni, I have been walking more to the castle, even if its cold, and Steven and I even went to the gym for strength training so we are better equipped for climbing mountains, glaciers, and frozen waterfalls. I also learned the Y has a hottub, so a membership to the Y is likely in my near future.
Thank you friends in Iceland for taking us in, feeding us, and teaching us, housing us, speaking to us late into the nights, and for an overall wonderful experience.

Gracious God, thank you for friends near and far. For the folks in Iceland and for those here at Wartburg Seminary. Bless the hands serving your church here, there, and everywhere. And thank you for the opportunity to travel, learn, and experience your creation. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment