31 January 2014

Perspective beyond Assumption

When we left the Midwest was experiencing extreme cold weather and upon our return last week, we experienced more of the same. The time spent in Iceland on the other hand had weather that was quite nice compared to what we left behind. This is one of many things that prior to preparing for and traveling in Iceland, that I would have assumed was the opposite or different way from how it turned out to be. Though I am glad to be home for multiple reasons other than the warmer weather, I would love to have spent more time experiencing the church, the culture, the people, and the landscape. This is how I often feel about travel and places I visit. However long I may be in a place, that seems to just spark an interest to experience and see more of that place. Here's hoping that I have more opportunities to visit and experience all that is Iceland (along with many of the other places that I have visited already).

Another of my assumptions that I found to be incorrect was the presence of big old churches. Based on my travel in the United Kingdom and Ireland as well as reading lots of books set in and amongst old churches and cathedrals, I was expecting much of the same in Iceland, a place officially converted to Christianity around the year 1000 A.D. I learned during our travels that such is not the case. while there are a few older country churches that still remain, the large churches have all been built since the 1940s. This was surprising to me as my own hometown in Montana(which has been "settled" for far less time than Iceland) has had a cathedral since the early 1900s. Iceland didn't have the same access to resources as stone and wood that was available in Montana and other places where there are large grandiose worship spaces. Most of the churches(and houses as well) up until the middle of the 20th century were made primarily of turf because that is what was available. The awe of these buildings is still there though despite their younger age.

I very much enjoyed the opportunity to meet with so many Icelandic pastors during our time there. The hospitality they and others offered was such a gift and chance for us to learn. We were welcomed into many homes and treated to good food and even better conversation. It was a wonderful way for us to get to know many things about Iceland and one another. Hospitality is so often spoken of  within church culture here in the US, but I would guess on average we speak of it much more than we actually practice it. This experience in Iceland increased my desire to practice hospitality more than speaking of it as an abstract practice.

These are a few reflections that I've had since returning and I could probably keep going. I am also sure that more thoughts and reflections will continue to emerge as I process continue to process this experience and its impact in my ever broadening horizons.

Gracious and loving God, Thank you for the chance to learn from and meet new friends as well as gain a broader perspective about the creation and people and Iceland in general that are just as much yours as those in our own community. Bless all those who shared their lives and callings with us in ways that provided much wisdom and insight into ministry and other things. May we continually be open to learning from those who come from different places, cultures, and experiences than our own because through your children we learn more of you. In Jesus' name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment