08 January 2018

Career Change: Fox Hunter

“The rural church is the backbone of the Church of Iceland .” -Vice Bishop Kristján Valur Ingòlfsson

While there are struggles that go with the territory if there rural church, Pastor Ingolfur Hartvigsson did say there are more joys that come with it. 


One such joy is everyone looking out for one another. “If your neighbor knows you are struggling, you will wake up the next morning with food on your doorstep.“ Pastor Hartvigsson said. 


An expectation of a Pastor in a rural setting is community involvement. The involvement can range from many things. Fox hunting, fishing, rescue squad etc.

 A goal of the trip is to find take aways we can bring to our settings of ministry back home. I have always felt called to serve in a rural community so I found particular interest in our conversation with Pastor Hartvigsson. 


I grew up in a rural town of 3,500. As I got older I realized my parents have played many roles in the community and I have always found it inspiring. 


Reflecting on my experiences at home and here in Iceland, I have begun to think of the ways that I can serve both my church and my community. 


While it may not be to the extent of being a professional fox hunter, I think being active in the community will help strengthen the bonds between my congregation and I. 
Peace
Coco

Gracious God, help to remind us of our work as the church. Guide us as we minister to those within our congregations and out in the community. Thank you for the ministry of the Church of Iceland. 
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment