27 January 2018

Naked as we came

Y'all may be wondering whats up with my titles to my publishings. They are all titles to songs by a band called "Iron and Wine" that happened to be in Iceland and Norway the same time that we were. During the driving parts of the trip, to make me feel like I was more at home, i'd listen to this band. There are so many things about these places and people that made me feel like I had stepped into a completely new reality. The more obvious elements of these places was the way that people treated each-other. It seemed to me, and perhaps it may have been just a presentation, that life was a cooperative endeavor in the nordic lands. Perhaps maybe it's because of the old mythologies, or the landscape, or how these countries came to consciousness,whatever it was, things are very different from America.
In Iceland, we had a particular experience in that we were accompanied and guided by the only cowboy in the country. We went from place to place learning about the church structures, meeting people who's names I can't pronounce, but somehow remember. Everyone seemed so genuine to me, that i felt an instant connection with them. I got to shake a variety of folks' hands, such as: a careful storyteller, a jack of all trades, a modest knitter, a serious informant, a ukulele player ( who also preaches), a world traveler, and a person who shared with us the gospel according to Luke (Skywalker- that is)
We also got to experience the new shifts and turns of the world with the incoming tourists, and the decline in church participation. In the midst of all that, I was amazed how the people were appreciative of what they had, what was in front of them, and not eager to be somewhere else.

In Norway, there was a whole new vibe. We were in the city and a bit in the country, but everywhere you went, there was art. Art that seemed to make no sense, and art that stared right into my soul. we also had the opportunity to go to a concert where I heard the most delightful music. The church structure was a little different here, but it seemed to me like the people who were in ministry were very energetic, and had no complaint about their job and the demands that came with it. I also learned that great pastoral preparations are best done with a trusty cat keeping you company.

All in All, if you were to ask me what I learned about myself on the trip, it's that I can definitely love more, and that real beauty approaches when you stop thinking/worrying/fretting about yourself.
.
Most of the observations I can make are mostly apples to oranges. It will take me a long time to process and reflect on what the trip was all about.
The title "Naked as we came" was also in direct reference to a park full of statues that we encountered in Norway. Here is one of my favorites!----

No comments:

Post a Comment