07 January 2018

Let's Talk About Coffee

Let’s talk about coffee.

Coffee is one my favorite beverages. As my friends, roommate, family, and internship congregation can attest to it is common to see me wandering around with a cup of coffee in my hand. I absolutely love being at coffee shops drinking coffee and it downright impossible for me to finish a sermon with out the company of a cup of coffee.

Much to my delight here in Iceland I am never far from a cup of coffee! We have been offered coffee at every location. Coffee in Iceland is strong and rich and enjoyed in the company of others. Conversation has happened over steaming cups as we learn about what life is like here in Iceland. Coffee has been a welcome beverage as we come in from exploring out in the cold and is served any time of the day. Instead of just being a kickstart to your day it becomes a time to slow down. Drinking coffee together is not meant to speed your day up but instead focus it in to the moment. In Iceland I don't take my coffee cup with my to run about my day, instead I sit down with people and savor the moment. 

The hospitality that has greeted us in Iceland has been exceptional. People have opened up their homes to our group and share openly about their country. It is an experience that I would have missed out on if I had simply come as a tourist. I am giving thanks to God for the hospitality and the coffee, but most of all for the people of Iceland who welcome the foreigner into their home to share what they know. It is a blessing beyond compare.



Creator God, thank you for coffee. Thank you that it has become a beverage that we can gather around to share stories of our lives. That it is a sign of hospitality and greeting to all in the home. Bless those who so willingly offer it to the stranger so that through the sharing of coffee and stories we may become friends instead of strangers. May more people be gifted with ability to sit down and slow down long enough to learn more about those around them. Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment