20 January 2010

Emerging from a crisis

Early on in this amazing trip to Iceland, Dr. Dan Olson defined a crisis as "something from which you cannot emerge unchanged." In so many ways that defines my experience traveling throughout Iceland. What an wonderful country with equally wonderful people and culture.

I entered this adventure with two questions to guide my thoughts and quickly generated many more. I found myself fascinated both by the differences and similarities between Icelandic and American cultures. I found that seeing reminders of what I already knew regarding how the church should be, as seen through the lens of someone else, equally as powerful as those which were entirely new.

My questions were as follows. One, how does the darkness affect how people see and experience God and two, how does the apparent isolation from both Europe and North America affect church attendance? What I found in both was mostly a non-answer, but still interesting topics to explore. On the issue of darkness, it turns out that Icelanders pay little attention to it. They have quite literally adapted genetically and therefore don't seem to care that it is dark longer and likewise in summer that its light longer. Of course having geothermally heated swimming halls and fabulous food may help soften the blow. But what was more interesting was how they viewed God. Now I won't presume to understand all Icelanders but unlike in the US, Icelanders view certain sites as holy ground, like at Skalholt and Thingvellir. Also the church, an established one at that, is a part of the culture and even the politics; such as the opening session of the Althing, or parliament. So, what I observed were a people who placed God in the national conscience, but that didn't necessarily translate into weekly service attendance.

I think that in every case we saw in the Reykjavik area, parishes had large numbers of members, but actual people in seats on Sunday was 1% or less of those members. This truth was also reflected in their church buildings, which were built to hold a large funeral, but could not possibly hold even half of their respective members. Now what I learned as the cause of this was the following. Culture, family pressure, and tradition dictate that Icelanders are baptized and in most cases confirmed in the church. But what seems to really influence this loss of attendance in early adulthood is the fact that confirmation is made to be like a graduation in the US. Most Icelandic teens receive a huge party and $1000-$5000 dollars plus gifts for being confirmed. This creates a feeling that church is something you've completed and don't need to bother with again until you have your own children to put through.

However, regardless of ones attendance record, everyone knows to which parish they belong and which priest to call should they need help. So in answer to my question of how does the geographic separation affect church attendance, I can say confidently that it does not influence it at all; instead the structure and culture of the national church shapes this issue.

So what else did I learn in Iceland. A lot. I cannot possibly post all of the incites and observations I made during this trip. However, it is absolutely true that the models of behavior, generosity, and spirituality seen in Iceland have caused a crisis in me. Some serve as reminders of how we in this global church of Christ are to act toward all and still others, through the silence of not understanding the language, serve to deepen and strengthen my own spiritual growth. Iceland may be my first culture to deeply reflect on theologically, but it will not be my last because out of this crisis I cannot go backward.

Good and Gracious God. I first thank You for the tremendous expressions of Christian love that Your servants in Iceland showed us. I pray that Your many blessings will continue to fall upon their waiting hearts. I also pray, as this trip while safe for us, did bring with it the sting of profound loss and grief. Thank you for Your servant Ben and all those in Haiti who were Christ among us. Be with us now and aways as we live in and profess Your love as so many of the saints before us. Remind us of the lessons learned in Your global church and guide us to do Your will. In Christ's name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment