06 January 2010

A Holy Place Indeed

We are now entering our second full day and third overall at Skalholt. So far we have eaten well, attended both services and Mass, and participated in a few academic activities graciously conducted in English. What has struck me most about this place the Icelandic people consider holy ground is how truly spiritually it has touched me. I cannot and would not presume the same understanding of someone whose culture this place is a part of.

However, I do find myself unexpectedly connected to God in a way that is reflective of the location, not just my belief that God is all and everywhere. I have found in worship here that in the silence of not understanding the language, although that is improving with every service, I am more meditative than when I hear it my own native language. The scripture texts are particularly stirring and serve as a reminder that this is one church of God, serving all people, in the context of where they live.

Coming here and knowing that worship would be a part of our daily schedule, I wondered if the struggle of following along would dominate my thinking or if prayful worship was possible for me here. Clearly I have found the latter and I am certainly grateful for that blessing.

Good and gracious God, I thank You for Your everlasting presence in all where we dwell and worship in Your name. Please continue to bless Skalholt and all who visit it, reminding all of Your wonderful and awesome power through the Word in whom You came to live among us. In Christs name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment