07 January 2010

It's a little past 8 in the morning on our final day at Skalholt. As with all things "final," I find myself teetering between fond memories and regrets. Our hosts and pastoral colleagues have been super kind, very accommodating to our linguistic handicap, and I can't say that they could have been any more welcoming to us. On the other hand, I'm feeling a certain amount of regret that, apart from a very late night filled with visiting with the Icelandic theology students, I didn't interact much with the pastors who were here on retreat. I'm sure this is more my issue than anyone else's, but I have felt a bit "in the way" here. (Even though Gunnar told me otherwise.)

I've never been very good at being a guest, in part because I like being able to control my own use of space (invoking for a moment some of the most personally poignant bits of Dr. Olson's lecture series yesterday), but partly because I don't like to inconvenience people. Weird ego thing, I think. Anyway, I guess that's something to work on for the remainder of the trip.

Speaking of Dr. Olson's lecture - wow. He gave a series of 3 hour-long talks about identity and crisis, which he (quite masterfully) tied in to the current economic situation in Iceland and the church's role therein, but it was so much more than that, really. Maybe that's part of what has me feeling more quiet today: it's just so much to think about. I'll be working that out for a while, I think.

Today we head out for the Golden Cirlce and a bit of sight-seeing. The weather isn't as classically beautiful today, so far, but I'm not overly concerned about that. A little bit of a shy sun seems fitting for my moderately melancholy mood today.

Ugh. Too much alliteration. Time for breakfast.

God, I'm at a loss for words this morning. I feel grateful for this opportunity that we've had in this holy place among leaders of your people. I feel awed and humbled by the natural beauty here, as well. Maybe you won't mind if I take it in and reflect on it more quietly today, and simply say, "thank you." Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment