07 January 2010

Last Day in Skalholt



I love this picture of a sunset. The colors here are so vivid during sunset and sunrise, and it makes a gorgeous backdrop for the beautiful landscape that is here in Iceland. I just wanted to post this picture since I forgot to post it the other day. I can't get over how beautiful it is, and it has given me so much more appreiciation for God's creation.


Jenna here! Today is our last day in Skalholt. I have really enjoyed my time here! I have been extremely humbled by the outpouring of generosity and hospitality that I have experienced here thus far. Everybody is so kind and they seem genuinely excited to have us as guests. To the right is a picture of the mosaic of Jesus in the front of the church above the altar. It is so beautiful and impressive when you walk into the church. Christ is opening his arms and saying welcome, which is exactly how I have felt so far during my stay in Iceland.

This is been kind of a hodge-podge of a post. As I have been here, there have been so many things rattling around in my brain to reflect on and I can't keep them all straight. One of the things I have noticed is the beauty (and difficulty) of the names here. Many of them I have absolutely no idea how to pronounce, but I love hearing people say their name. The interesting thing is that last names are not like last names in the United States. It is still very patriarchal, as in the United States, as many people (though not all) have the last name of their father or husband. In Iceland, both men and women's last names are based on their father's first name and his or her relationship to the father. For example, in the home I am staying at, Gunnar has two children, a daughter named Anna and a son named Ari. Anna's last name is Gunnarsdottir (Gunnar's daughter) and Ari's last name would be Gunnarsson. So, my name would be Jenna Geraldsdottir. I find it very interesting! Their identity is based on their relationship to their father. Dr. Olson talked yesterday here at Skalholt and gave 3 one-hour lectures about depression, identity, and the church's role in Iceland's current financial crisis. It was a very good lecture, and I was very intrigued by what he said. He said that we need a sense of identity or we really can't make long term commitments; he then tied this with the function of negative emotions, which focus attention at a very small point and to provide us with an irresistible urge to act immediately; they serve us well because they give us the urge to act and because they focus our attention and pinpoint; Fear trumps pretty much all other emotions.
Positive emotions have a function as well. They broaden and build; produce the creativity that the world needs from us; a creativity that responds to new challenges and new times; to respond with creativity and the broadening of our horizons to be able to do that; if we get away from the heavy duty demands of ordinary life and enjoy the joyous and funny parts of our lives, as well as the sad and difficult times. I loved this when he said all this; it was a reminder that our emotions serve functions; and how God uses all sorts of temperments in God's mission. Many people were amazed at what he said (as was I ) and it really made so much sense! I got the sense that they were craving the reminder that God is with them during this difficult time.

That is about all I have for today. Later tonight I will post pictures from our trip to the Golden Circle where we will see a geiser. :) Stay tuned for more!

Grace and Peace,

Jenna

Gracious God,

Thank you for the wonderful opportunities that you have given us. Thank you for the gift of education and for speaking to us through the ability to see, taste, touch, speak, feel, and hear. Please be with us all during the remainder of this trip, and with the people of Iceland as they continue to work through the crisis they are experiencing. We ask all these things in your Holy name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment