03 January 2010

Sleepful in Kópavogur







Without trying to repeat what Kirk and Alan already reported, our first day in Iceland was, in a word, overwhelming: overwhelming silliness at the Madison airport, overwhelming gratitude for a safe and relatively non-torturous flight, overwhelmingly long day, overwhelming hospitality from Gunnar & þora, Ási, Gunnar (a different Gunnar), Hreggi & Svava (& Bina & Atli), and everyone else who has so graciously put us up and put up with us, and who gave us food. (N.B. When Gunnar tells you to try the food before he will tell you what it is, be afraid. Be veeeery afraid.) (No, actually the sheep scrapple was quite tasty and, as with most food, it's best NOT to know what it is until you've already eaten it.)


The weather was great on day 1, and the sun was up (albeit sitting pretty low) much longer than I had expected. I think the winter sun in Iceland is from the American South: it can't be rushed to get anywhere in a hurry. As a result, we were treated to a very long sunset, accompanied by all the orange & pink that goes with it. I was dozing at sunrise on day 1, so I missed out on that light show, but I was awakened by a raven (was it Huginn or Muninn? I couldn't tell.), which had a magically weird voice. Even the birds have a cool way of speaking in Iceland.



It's now 2 O'Clock on day 2. The rest of the group has gone swimming. Not my cup of tea - I prefer a mellow float in a hot tub with a cold beer to a speedo thong and a slippery slide. If there is a trip to a spa planned for later, I'm there. Until then, I have a sermon to write (not at all sure what to say, but I'm hoping my version of the lectionary jives with the one we're using in þingvellir!).

Fađir vor, we thank you for travelling mercies: for safe transport, for welcoming arrivals, and for gracious hosts who greet us in your name and make sacrifices of time and resources for us for your sake. Please guard over them and enfold them in your tender care. This we ask in Jesus' name. Amen.

3 comments:

  1. I'm frustrated with blogspot: won't let me place the pics where I want them. Use your imagination, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of the beautiful sunset!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grumble, Grumble, Grumble - yer in Iceland! Whoooopppeeeeeeee!!!!!


    Eat some goat cheese for me! :-)

    ReplyDelete