11 January 2010

Week 2...





Hello! Jenna here! It's been a busy couple of days! Saturday we had a free day, so a lot of us got together at our host parents' and cooked supper for them. We made homemade pizzas! We have been so greatly humbled by the hospitality here we wanted to do something nice for them! It was a pretty nice day!


Sunday we traveled to Thingvelli, and Rob preached at the church there, named Thingvallakirkja. It was a cute little church, and seemed full with only those of us on this trip and a few other Icelanders. Rob gave an excellent sermon. I could relate to what he said about the humbling hospitality we have experienced here, and how this trip has shown us first hand the generosity and compassion that the church ought to show all people. If only the world could learn to treat each other with such respect, then this world would be a much better place.




After church, we went on a walking tour around the area and saw the continental drift, where the plates are separating. It was really cool! It was a rainy dreary day but it was very fun to see the beautiful landscape. We saw more waterfalls, which created beautiful scenery, yet again! :) I definitely can't complain about the landscape here, it's gorgeous, and bug free, which I'm loving! The weather has also been really mild. The other day it was almost 50 degrees F, when it was -14 back in Iowa. Pretty crazy!




We went to a restaurant along the sea last night and had a lobster dinner. It was my first time trying lobster. It wasn't too bad! I didn't eat very much, but I did eat one piece, as I'm really not a fan of seafood, which is a shame, because it looked and smelled delicious! I liked the little I had, but not enough to devour it as everyone else did! At least I can say that I had lobster in Iceland! :)


Today we went to the University of Iceland and met with some students there and got a tour of their campus. It was really interesting to see and there is a bit of a difference between how we do our studies and how they do theirs. For those studying to be pastors, they have a 5 year program, where as ours is a 4 year program with the 3rd year being an internship year. It was also stated that their program is very aimed at academics. Academics is also a crucial aspect at Wartburg too, obviously, but there is a slight difference that I can't really put my finger on. I think it's the atmosphere. It was definitely a different atmosphere. I dont' quite know how to describe it, but it's different. Not better, not worse, just different.


Dr. Olson gave an excellent lecture at the University on pre-marital language. He said something that really caught my attention. He said that "everyone has a cradle to grave need for someone who has an enduring, irrational enthusiasm for them." I really liked the phrase "enduring irrational enthusiasm." At first the word irrational threw me off; but he explained it more. He said if we were rational and could choose those whom we loved, then we would never find anyone because we would always be waiting for a more rational choice to come along. Had never really thought about it that way. Gave me a new perspective on the meaning of marriage. I'm taking Dr. Olson's course on marriage next semester, so I'm looking forward to what else he has to say ont he matter!!!


It's hard to believe we only have a few days left here. It has gone so fast! Tomorrow we meet the bishop's staff!!! Until then;

Grace and Peace,

Jenna


No comments:

Post a Comment