03 January 2012

It is the eve of our second day in Iceland. I wish to begin this reflection by sharing with all that it has been an exhilarating experience so far, and I am excited for what will be next. The people are very friendly and warm, and to call them hospitable is an under-statement. The landscape is gorgeous, and as I grow more accustomed to the time difference, the more I appreciate watching the sunrise creeping over the mountains.

This is my first trip overseas, so my goal has been to try new experiences. This has been a blessing and a curse, but has been a great source of enjoyment for all. I am happy to declare that I have yet to slip and fall on the ice here, which to all who know me well is a huge accomplishment. Along with the varied experiences we as a group have seen many great things already in this early stage, including a day shelter for the homeless and hungry. Reykjavik has a few night shelters, but we visited a day shelter run by The Salvation Army that aids people when these other places are closed. The people who work this shelter are very bright individuals who give off an energy they attribute to the driving love of God. It was a powerful experience. Seeing people help others in a much different context was amazing, and learning more about the systems in place here in Iceland is intriguing and has sparked my curiosity to learn more.

Gracious God, watch over us all this evening. Grant us a peaceful sleep so that we will be ready for more wonderful experiences. Ready our hearts and minds for your gracious Spirit, so that we may be faithful stewards of the new day. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Trying new things has been a blessing AND a curse: this must mean that you tried the hákarl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope... not yet... actually it was the Nefttobak!

    ReplyDelete