29 January 2012

What I Have Gained

I learned many things during my time in Iceland. I have learned how hospitality is a wonderful gift to the church and how much of a blessing it is for the recipient. I have come to understand a different meaning of "parish" which I appreciate and has challenged how I have viewed it previously (an Icelandic parish is the community in which the church building resides, not just the people who attend worship). I have experienced new and innovative ways to approach worship and education, one of which is holding Sunday school at a retirement facility to encourage inter-generational education and fellowship. I have learned how misconduct of leaders in the church can be damaging not just for the time they are in the leadership role, but for generations to follow. I have experienced a different culture than my own from a wonderful group of people. I have learned how joining together with neighboring parishes can be both beneficial for the pastors and also for the surrounding community especially for the care of the poor and the hungry. I have eaten of the delicacies of Iceland and have come back a stronger individual. I am extremely grateful for all those involved in this trip, especially Gunnar for putting this together and for Erikur and Stefania for allowing Emily and I to stay with them. I want to thank all the pastors that we met with for allowing time in their busy schedule to speak to us about their ministry and their lives. Takk Fyrir! Bless bless!

God, thank you for this opportunity to experience your people and your church in Iceland. I ask that you guide their process for electing a new Bishop of Iceland and that this be a smooth process and will benefit your church in Iceland. Help those of us who were blessed to be a part of this trip to continue ruminating on all that we experienced and that we will never forget the kindness and hospitality given us by the Icelandic people. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Ary Digital Live TV

    Thanks for nice information about this you provide the more information about this hope you provide the more information about this.
    Geo Super Live TV

    ReplyDelete