30 January 2012

Reflections on The Journey.

It has been a few weeks since our group departed from Iceland, saying good-bye to our hosts and wonderful new friends. As I begin to settle back into my routine of life back at home, some aspects of my trip keep coming up in my mind. Iceland is a beautiful place that has so many wonderful landscapes, and natural wonders, such as the Blue Lagoon, that took my breath away. However, the things that I think about most were the people.
The hospitality was so amazing. For a country to have gone through such a tough economic time, and yet show our group such generosity was awe-inspiring. The wonderful conversations that were had with colleagues in ministry/education. I enjoyed getting the chance to talk with pastors and seminarians that are in a church body that was different than my own. These talks gave me a since that, though we were different, the Church Universal was very much a reality. The idea that God moves and acts in people throughout cultural identities and the notion of the one body of Christ came to fruition with these conversations.
With all of these things in mind, the reflection I come to most often is how a short two-week trip has really opened my mind. I am aware of the broader since of the world, but I am also now aware of my lacking worldview. I was in a place that spoke a language that I could not begin to understand on a serious level. My saving grace was their ability to speak English very well. Yet I had a tugging pain every time I had to ask someone to speak my language in their home. I have become aware of the assumptions I have as a citizen of the United States. I have always been understood, even when I went away from home. Yet when they would speak amongst each other, I felt completely isolated. This has given me a deeper since of what it is like for someone to not have a clue what is going on, as like a stranger, traveler, or immigrant. My trip has given me a glimpse into what it is like to be surrounded by a sea of unknown. If not for our hosts we would have been literally and figuratively lost. For this I cannot thank them enough, and I realize my need to think in a broader sense.
All in all this trip was a wonderful, life-altering trip that will be with me always.

Gracious God, I pray to you a prayer of thanksgiving for the unbelievable experience that was given to our group those short few weeks ago. I ask for your Spirit to renew and continue to guide our hosts in their lives, as well as the ministries that they support and uphold. Give us all the ability to recognize your light in the whole world, and let us live in the knowledge that your grace stretches out to all humanity. In the name of your gracious Son, our Lord, Jesus Christ I pray, AMEN.

2 comments: