16 January 2012

Near and Far - We Are United in Christ

In many ways our time in Iceland was much too short. As we pulled away from the bus station headed to the airport my heart was full of mixed emotions. On one hand I was excited to see my family and share my experiences. However, I also began to grieve the loss of my new friendships, especially Gunnar and his family. Throughout my two weeks stay I was treated like a member of their family. They made me feel at home, they fed me, and always made sure I was comfortable. I pray that I can return the favor someday and I am confident that the relationships that have been created during this wonderful trip will be relationships that I will treasure for the rest of my life.
   
A few days ago I wrote about the darkness the Icelander’s endure during the winter season. I also mentioned that the darkness had affected me. It was hard to sleep and at times it was difficult to comprehend the difference between morning/evening/nighttime hours. And just as my body seemed to be acclimating to the darkness, it was time to leave and journey west to a lower longitude with more sunshine.

The last church we visited in Iceland, Lindakirkja, was the pinnacle of the entire visit for me personally. The visit began with a presentation from Toshiki Toma, a Japanese man who married an Icelandic woman, moved to Iceland 20 years ago, and is now serving the national church by providing support to immigrants moving/transitioning into the country. Also, the visit included a tour of the new church which was still under construction in many areas. Immigration and mission development are two areas where I feel my heart being pulled toward as I journey through seminary. It was wonderful to learn/see how the church is creatively overcoming the struggles of the economic downturn, while at the same time becoming the fastest growing church is the country.  

As I reflect on the darkness, the Icelandic culture, my hosts, the people of Iceland whom I have met, and the wonderful things that I have experienced here, I am drawn into the humble picture below. The picture is from Lindakirkja’s new sanctuary, which is still under construction, yet is finished enough to conduct events/services from time to time. The church did not have the resources to purchase chairs or pews as planned and asked the community for extras that the church could use until the resources were available to purchase new seating. The community responded. We were told that many people and businesses donated chairs and now the sanctuary is a collage of different colored, sized, and shaped seating. This image continues to move me deeply. To me, the picture represents not only the community of Iceland supporting the church, but also how the body of Christ throughout creation including Icelander's, seminary students, and professors from faraway lands, are all united in Christ regardless of color, shape, or size. What a perfect end to an amazing journey!

Lord God, in you all things hold together. Thank you for the opportunity to learn from our brothers and sisters in Iceland and thank you for returning us home safely. May this experience remind us now, as well as far into the future, that we are called to love you and our neighbors regardless of geographic location, race, color, or nationality. Remind us always that we are united in you. In Jesus name we pray. Amen 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment