04 January 2012

New Beginnings

Well, this has certainly been a wonderful beginning to our trip. The first 24 hours were spent traveling from Iowa to Iceland. Our first full day here in Iceland is a bit of a blur. Because I didn't sleep much on the plane rides, I was exhausted when we landed, but instead of sleeping, we were treated to a wonderful breakfast at our host's parish here near Reykjavik. After some much needed sleep, we spent the reaminder of the day visiting with our hosts and enjoying a wonderful dinner.

Our second full day here was spent in Reykjavik, where we began our day visiting a Salvation Army homeless shelter, and learning about their outreach ministry here in Iceland. We also visited spent time walking through downtown, where we visited the parliament building, as well as one of the cathedrals. We finished our sight-seeing at the new concert hall, enjoying fellowship and a nice warm cup of coffee. The evening began with a swim in the local pool, though this description does not do this activity justice. It was around 20 degrees here, and these pools are hot tubs outside in the cold...very weird, but very relaxing. After an hour or so soaking in these hot tubs, I was very mellow. My favorite part of this day was the time spent listening to Gunnar, our host, as well as other pastors, talk about their life here in Iceland. I find their advice and points of view very valuable.

Today, we set off for Skálholt, which is about two hours from here. While there, we will be able to hear Winston Persaud make a presentation, as well as get a chance to see some of the Icelandic countryside.

I am fascinated as I was the last time that I traveled internationally that our way of life in America is, well...big. At home, dinners are served in large portions, the cars are big, the houses are huge...Here, sitting down and actually enjoying a dinner for an hour or two, not stuffing myself (though last night's dinner was tough not to do that) has been very relaxing and enjoyable. As far as I can tell so far, meal times are geared more around the fellowship than anything else, though the food has been tremendously good.

More to come when we return from Skálholt...

From Psalm 24
The earth is the Lord's and all that is in it, the world, and those who live in it; for he has founded it on the seas, and established it on the rivers.

Lord,

Thank you for allowing me to travel to this beautiful place, and thank you for the gift of fellowship, both with my traveling companions and our hosts. Please continue to bless our time here in Iceland as we become more familiar with the people and places here. Continue to watch over those that we have left back at home, and comfort them as we are away. Thank you for providing us with food and shelter while we are here.
I pray that you will help keep my eyes and heart open to new experiences in the time that I have left here in Iceland.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment