08 January 2012

A Selfish Desire for the Sun


The sky is dark and the clouds cannot decide to drop rain or snow from the heavens above. We are now eight days into 2012 however the surrounding houses and buildings remain decorated with Christmas lights of multiple colors and shapes. Occasionally I see the headlights of a car winding its way along the otherwise abandoned two lane paved road below. As I sit back and enjoy the best coffee that I have ever tasted I wonder for a moment what time it is? Really… you may ask. I know this may sound strange but I am curious… is it morning, mid-morning, late afternoon, evening, or the middle of the night?

Through the mixed precipitation that randomly falls from the sky I see a bright flash of green and red. I hear the loud bang echo through the neighborhood and the confused and possibly over caffeinated synapses within my brain begin to fire rapidly trying to generate a solution to the data that my eyes and ears are capturing. All within a fraction of a second, my brain concludes that the flash is one of the numerous fireworks that Icelanders have been launching from their homes and driveways since we arrived 7 days ago. Similar to how the sun hanging high in the sky back at Wartburg tells me that it is the middle of the day, the flash of fireworks and the smell of gunpowder relaxes me in a peculiar way and confirms the darkness I am viewing is evening darkness. There are no fireworks in the morning.

This time of year Icelander’s endure long hours of darkness. The sun tries its best to break through the clouds from late morning to late afternoon. However, in our time here so far the clouds and darkness have prevailed and the sun silently retreats behind the southern horizon much too early in the day, almost as if it is stuck or doesn’t have the energy to assume a higher trajectory.

I have always loved the sunshine. The 300+ days of sunshine per year in Colorado continues to be one of the things that I miss the most while at seminary, in addition to the mountains of which I mentioned in a previous post. Sunlight helps me get out of bed in the morning. Sunshine energizes me. Sunshine motivates me. Sunshine pulls me outside into nature and keeps me warm. Today I selfishly miss the sunshine.

Recently during one early morning the same over caffeinated and sunlight starved synapses within my head were pondering the thought of darkness. Why has the darkness in this place affected me so? Why can’t I sleep for more than a couple hours at a time? Will I get used to it? What is darkness? As my thoughts rambled, my fingers clicked on my netbook where I found the following poem about darkness written by Lord Byron in the 18th century:

The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space,
Rayless, and pathless, and the icy earth
Swung blind and blackening in the moonless air;
Morn came and went--and came, and brought no day

This is interesting indeed. And even more interesting are the people of Iceland and how they endure the darkness. How do they persevere? What can I learn from them and this experience to help me endure the darkness both here and during future challenges in life?

I will continue to deeply think about this mystery and plan to follow up with another post about darkness in a few days. Meanwhile, I think I will begin my reflection by immersing myself in the first chapter of John’s gospel. Until next time…enjoy the sunlight wherever you are:) 

Light of the world, you are the light that shines in the darkness. Help us find you in every corner of creation, especially in the dark places where we yearn for light and direction. Thank you for our gracious hosts, may you continue to bless them and shine your light on them so that they may reflect your love around the world. Remain close with our loved ones and bring them peace. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen



1 comment:

  1. I really dig what you say, man. I think you captured it well and I must say that I appreciate your pictures in the posts, as well.

    ReplyDelete