05 January 2012

One Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.



The other evening, our group met in Skálholt, as some of my peers have already commented about. I feel that in that ancient and holy place I experienced a deeply moving life moment. Every now and then we as human beings are blessed to take part in something that gives us the smallest glimmer of what it is to be the Church, and not simply the Lutheran Church, but the Church Universal. The world-wide community of believers.It is here where I feel we were given a small look into what we define so often in worship as the feast to come, the glories of heaven that awaits.

Our small group met for worship with a collection of pastors from Iceland who were in attendance at a gathering in Skálholt. I sat towards the front of this magnificent chapel and I could feel the history of so many generations all around me. The service was then conducted, all in Icelandic, and in a liturgy that was as beautiful as it was powerful. I sat in complete and total helplessness, as I could not understand one word that was being spoken around me. But, there was a poetry I could feel, though I could not understand. The tones were familiar and beautiful. The phrasing was familiar to me, and I felt my heart respond in a worshipful manner. Though the details of what was said escaped me, the power of God's word, and the importance and reverence they carry held firm in my soul. Though I could not mentally grasp the words, the words emotionally grasped me.

As I sit here and reflect I am in awe of the wonderful people around me, and the unending surprises God has for me. I have said the words of the Creed "one holy, catholic, and apostolic church" numerous times. I know intellectually what it means, and what it represents in my theology as a concept. I know that each word helps to clearly identify what the church is, or is to be, but in a small chapel in Skálholt was the first time I felt it. We Christians, of all races, countries, languages, and identities find our center in Christ. This was what I felt in a worship that I could not understand, but yet derived a great deal of meaning.

Even after worship this thought continued. We gathered for a bit of fellowship. I was asked to share some music with the group, a task that I felt honored to do. After I offered my music our gracious hosts returned the musical gift with a brighter music of their own. Traditional songs that they all knew by heart were sung with joy (and at times sorrow) that were amazing. The evening was full of joyous singing, and two different cultures coming together in a beautiful harmony of music and laughter. Seeing the presence of God here among us was unbelievable. From feeling the deeper notion of what it is to be church, to the small peace shared between peoples, I felt something wonderful that I will treasure for my lifetime.

Blessed Lord, I give you thanks for allowing this group of your faithful to gather in you and rejoice of all that has been done in you. Blessed be all peoples around the world who are all part of the body, and who find peace and justice in you. Give we who continue our visit the compassion and will to love and learn all we can in these next days, and keep us safe. As with all things, I ask this in the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.


1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way at Skálholt. Thanks for sharing this, Jeff.

    ReplyDelete