02 January 2012

Mountains on the Horizon

Our group arrived safely in Iceland early Monday morning. After a gracious reception from our hosts, including breakfast at Gunnar's church, it was time to rest and succumb to the effects of jetlag and the six hour time change. I slept like a baby for three hours and awoke in the afternoon to my first glimpse of the Iceland daylight which was peeking around the edges of the window blinds in my room. I made my way upstairs and was immediately captivated by the view through the living room window. Past the city lights and laying under the purple and orange sky were mountains on the horizon, beautiful jagged magnificent mountains.

I have always loved exploring nature however there is something especially intriguing about mountains to me. I made my way outside to snap a few pictures. And as always, pictures never do justice to the beauty experienced in person. As the snow crunched under my feet I thought about how the mountains on the horizon parallel the possibilities of the two weeks of this Jterm that lie ahead. What will I experience over the horizon? If I feel this excited about a city scape imagine how I will feel when I visit one of the oldest churches in the country, or when I see the ocean waves crashing on the rocky coast. I cannot wait to find out and feel truly blessed to be here.

Creator God, thank you for the beauty of your creation and for the adventure that lie ahead. May my journeys and experiences always glorify your holy name. Keep watch over our loved ones and bring them peace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment