21 January 2016

A Jog to Norway

While many have noticed my joy in writing blogs about my experience, the Norway trip has left me with some unanswered questions in my mind. Instead of sharing those with you, I will instead share two stories on this post that have not only lead to the questions but also maybe the answers. 

Story One:
Kids are life giving to me, it was in an experience with a two-year Leonardo in Pavas, Costa Rica that provided a clear sense of call to ordained ministry. I had the privilege to stay with a Pastor Øystein and his family at their home in Skien, it was a lovely experience. Upon arrival, I encountered a little guy who just turned four walking around the house speaking in Norwegian. He was born while they were living at Wartburg and it was exciting to see him interacting with people he had met before but never remembered. Eventually I found myself watching the movie CARS with him, thankfully I know the movie well enough to not need it in English. He was so excited about the movie, after he realized I wasn't going anywhere, I was led around like a lost puppy. We played with toys and attempted to have conversations, I still have no clue what they were about and I realized just like in Costa Rica I was ministering to a child in a language of its own. I had a Lightning McQueen toy car in my backpack, something I have been traveling with since Costa Rica and decided that he needed this toy more then I did. 
The excitement that his face showed made me realize that to him this was not just a toy but it was the Gospel. It was a way of sharing the Good News across languages without saying anything. Rest of the day, even at church, he carried around the car. He refused to put it down and even made me play with a different car so he could try out Lightning McQueen. It made me once again feel my sense of call coming alive, there is still questions about what it is leading to but time will answer those. 

Story Two:
Interfaith dialogue is extremely important to me, all during the summer of this past year I was active in interfaith dialogue. I was in a group for CPE that included Lutherans, a Pagan, a Muslim, a Franciscan Brother, a Presbyterian, a Conservative Baptist and a Unitarian Universalist. Everyday I was learning about different things from my group and engaged in explaining my theology. While in Norway I had the privilege of sharing a meal with a Pastor in Norway that is active in interfaith dialogue, a woman who is active with responding to crisis around the world, one of the head men of the Islamic group in Norway and another active participant. 
Not only did they discuss the joys that they have had while doing this work but the challenges that were also present. The dialogue talked about everything from the normal day to day life of being Muslim in Norway to the bigger picture of what is happening. While the discussion was so raw and helpful, I have been unable to process what all happened but I know that the evening full of discussion will have a lasting impact on my life.

How am I supposed to take what I have learned and translate that into the ministry that I will soon be leading? Outside of my call to ministry, what is there for me? What is my core? How will these experiences impact my ministry? What will my ministry be? The questions keep coming and I need the moments to sit back and simply listen for the answers. While the time in Norway was short, it has left a mark on my heart forever. The hospititality that I was shown will be the model for how I lead my life back in the States. 

 

Heavenly Father, praise abounds when thinking about the gifts I have been given on the jog over to Norway. As the experience is just beginning to settle down, allow my heart to be open to what it means to me. Be with those who are working to extend your love to the neighbors that are there, no matter of who they are. Bless the time that is left in Iceland and thanks for the warm hearts that have welcomed the stranger in. Amen   

No comments:

Post a Comment