29 January 2016

God is still God...

On the 14th of January, we visited the funeral home Fossvogur and learned about funeral practices and rituals in Iceland. I've been reflecting on some of what we learned there the past few weeks. 

Anyone who knows me knows that I tend to obsess over baptism. I love the idea of baptism, the theology of it, what it means for me...I could go on and on. Seriously. 

Anyway, Gunnar was telling us about a cloth that is used in the funeral service, one which is also present in the baptism service. And that the same words are said in preface during both services. He told us that this same cloth that is used to wipe the child's head during baptism is used to cover the face of the individual when they die and are put into the casket. This ritual apparently has died down, but it used to be the exact same cloth. 

I was struck by the reminder that we are baptized into the death of Christ, and because of that, we are baptized into Christ's resurrection. I was struck by the reminder that even in death, we are not separated from God. I was struck by the personal memory of my own baptism and the ways in which it has followed me to this day, even 2,500 miles from home. 

No matter where we go in life, we can't outrun God. I love what it says in Psalm 139 about not being able to outrun God's spirit. I love what it says about God searching and knowing, about God forming. 

I'm amazed at the ways in which this trip has caused a sort of reboot in my faith. I've found so many reminders of why I feel called to ministry, 2,500 miles from home, in a foreign culture. And I am comforted in knowing that even 2,500 miles from home, in a foreign country where I don't speak the language, God is still God. 

God, you call us to new life through the waters of baptism and walk with us through our whole lives. Even in death we are not separated from you. Help us to know that You are present, with us, as we walk through life. Thank you for the reminder that You are God, no matter where we are. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment