29 January 2016

Confirmation 2.0

Coming back from Iceland and Norway has been like faith reboot. A sort of Confirmation 2.0, if you will. I'm finding that God used this experience to teach me a lot about myself -- I can sleep in cars (and now I love to), I am way more of an introvert than I thought, and I'm more of a homebody than I care to admit -- and I think God used this experience to teach me a lot about broadening my horizons.

When I left for Iceland, I frankly had no idea what the national church even was. I was bent on my context that the church has to survive apart from the government and nobody could convince me otherwise. I found that being changed by seeing and hearing how the church protects the government and how the government protects the church. I was bent on my conviction that your congregation is who comes on Sundays. I found that being changed for me as I learned about how pastors in Iceland and Norway are pastors to their congregation, but also to their parish, and everyone who is in it. I saw amazing opportunities for growth within myself and within my calling, and I am so excited to take what I've learned to heart and to let it help shape me for future ministry.

When I think about Iceland, I think about the cold weather, warm hearts, amazing food, great photography and new friends that I've left there. I think about the hospitality, the many people who asked me, when learning that I was sick, if they could do anything for me. I think about the beauty of Skalholt, the amazing 1000 year history there and the beautiful traditions that continue in that place. I think of all the pastors who I connected with and who now I view as my colleagues in ministry.

When I think about Norway, I think about the even colder weather, the warm hearts, amazing food, great experiences, and new friends I've left there. I think about the hospitably we experienced in Skien and in Oslo. I think about the old-new friends in Skien, and the happiness of being able to play table tennis almost 3000 miles from home. I think about the lecture at the University in Oslo and feeling last semester's Gadamer resonating with what was taught. I think most fondly about the conversations we got to have with the Islamic Council of Norway folks and my deeper appreciation for ecumenism in the face of injustice.

I've added three new countries to my list of places I've been, but I am also adding countless places where I seem to have left a piece of my heart.

It only seems right to end with the prayer that has followed me since I began my call to ministry a few years ago:

O God, you have called your servants to ventures of which we cannot see the ending, by paths as yet untrodden, through perils unknown. Give us faith to go out with good courage, not knowing where we go, but only that your hand is leading us and your love supporting us; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen (ELW)

No comments:

Post a Comment