24 January 2016

Images of Iceland



At matin, we rise for prayer
The sky is black
The cold is bitter
I walk to the chapel at Skálholt
My hands ache and long for warmth

Christ emerges from the altarpiece in blues and grays
His arms are open, embracing all who enter.
The nave echoes with chanting;
I do not hear my language
But I listen with my soul:
Give us this day, our daily bread,
And forgive us our sins.

At the pastors' house, the bread is warm 
the coffee is strong and candles glow
The walls are dressed with shiny frames and colorful canvas
Dalí and Picasso
Original and print
Art and artifact
Each revealing the stories of one's life 
And drawing me into wonder about my own.

Outside the parsonage, the wind howls
Thick walls have sheltered the family for twenty-eight winters
And the pastor hopes for twenty-eight more.
Laughter rises from the common table
And I wonder, do homes belong to people 
Or do people belong to homes?

The falls at Gulfoss roar 
The wind pushes me toward the cliff
I can barely keep my footing
But if I let go, it carries me
With a force that is greater than my own

I slip on sheets of ice and stumble on rocky craters
My bare heels burn on freezing sand as I run into the ocean 
The path is uncertain 
and the pilgrimage is not without pain.

With squinting eyes, I walk toward the altar 
Yellow and orange flood the sacred space
With empty hands, I receive bread and wine
I cannot see the priest's face 
For the rays of light are too bright to bear
I cannot understand the words spoken,
But I taste the sour wine on my tongue, saying, 
For you, the body of Christ, broken

At vespers, we worship in darkness 
The blue lights and grand piano set the mood 
As the melody of the choir soars, I sit in the pew;
I look through a long, narrow window 
I can see the city lights,
And I am reminded of the parish 
Beyond these walls and my sight

A baby boy is baptized 
His long white gown spills over his grandfather's arms
No one sitting in the pews knows his name
Until he is claimed as a child of God 

Outside, the flag flies at half-mast
In the sanctuary, two caskets sit side by side 
She died on the twenty-second
He stayed only five more days
Polka from their youth plays on the accordion
The caskets are carried to the grave
Two lives intertwined in life
Two souls dancing in death

The burial hymn of an Icelandic poet runs through the veins of the people,
And ring softly in my ears:
"Thus in Christ's name I'm living;
Thus in Christ's name, I'll die...
O Grave, where is thy triumph?
O Death, where is thy sting?
'Come thou wilt will, and welcome!'
Secure in Christ, I sing."*

Pink and orange linger in the horizon
The sunset lasts for hours.
Steam rises from the rocky earth like a prayer
And I welcome the cold on my cheeks.

God, You are the source of life. Your presence greets us in bread and wine, unexpected people and mysterious places. Give us courage in life and in death through the power of the Holy Spirit. In Jesus' name, Amen.

*Hallgrímur Pétursson (d. 1674), Icelandic Burial Hymn

No comments:

Post a Comment