21 January 2016

"It is good"

If I had to sum up my time in Norway in just a few words I would be lost, how can I describe not only the beauty all around but also the sense of hospitality? As our fearless leader, Sam was navigating the windy roads of Norway and the trees seemed to be passing by ever so wonderfully. It seemed as there was freshly fallen snow everywhere but the reality is I have no idea the last time snow fell here. 

As the van made the trek up to Skien, the scenery made me reflect on the creation story in Genesis. With every passing moment on the drive, another patch of snow covered trees would come into sight. It was as if the van was traveling through a fairy tail of sorts, it was too perfect for even pictures to capture the beauty. 

For me, there is great joy in nature. It is a place where the reminders of God's perfect creation comes alive and it does not allow you to ignore it. It was refreshing to be in a place that was so perfect and not only did I think about how God created the universe out of nothing, but the fact that God stated that what God made was good. 

Having known that God stated what God made was good, gives me a sense of wonder. Did God have to create things multiple times before declaring they were good? Or was the first attempt the only attempt? 

I am a perfectionist by trade and find it difficult to say my first attempt is good, for I know that I can always do better. I firmly believe that God only created things once, and that includes humankind. I was the first thing created and God say that it was good and left me with all the imperfections I have but never changed how God loves me.

The drive in Norway allowed me the space to reflect on the imperfections in my life and my identity, I was created in the image of God and even though I am not following what the norm of society is doing, I know I am still perfect in God's image no matter what happened. 

One thing that I learned about myself on this trip is to simply be okay with the imperfections and who I am because I have been created in God's image. Iceland (and probably Norway too) have no issues with nudity, everyone is comfortable in their own skin and I am becoming that way as well. There is joy in who I am and I am happy with the way God created me. Thank you Iceland and Norway for showing me how to love myself in the skin that I was created in. 

Almighty God, you declared in Genesis that everything you made is good. Thank you for providing me with a reminder that you have declared this and that is all we need to know. Bless the time that is left in Iceland that we can continue to be blessed by the reminders of your creation. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment